Hello! I'm Dan Brown and Code Workshop Systems is my UK Limited Company.
I'm a contract front end developer with many years of practical experience of implementing UI for agencies, organisations and entrepreneurs.
I regard myself as an engineer, a craftsman and a 'maker', and it brings me immense satisfaction to partner with teams to explore and iterate creative, forward-looking solutions that enhance quality and pace of delivery. A large part of what keeps the passion alive for me is having the chance to learn something new every day, and to share my experience with others. Do you have a project I could help you with?
I have worked with...
I'm proud to have worked with agencies and brands including:
- Accenture Interactive
- Brilliant Basics
- New Look
- Future Platforms
- John Lewis
I like to use...
- Markup: Semantic, presentation-agnostic, maintainable and accessible HTML that doesn't lock out future utilisation options or development paths.
- Styling: I ♡ CSS! I work with advanced SASS/PostCSS, responsive/adaptive layouts, grid and flexbox, CSS animation, white labelling, SVG. I'm very happy pairing with UX/designers on 'rapid prototyping' style, in-browser development via dev tools and a well thought out cascade of configs and inheriting SASS variables.
- Data and logic: Vanilla JS, ES6, consuming API's and JSON, PWA's. Client and server-side templating in Handlebars, Mustache and Dust. Serverside code in Node/Express (getting started). I usually prefer to use core native browser capabilities as opposed to libraries where possible, but I really enjoy working with React including testing with Enzyme (getting started).
- Tooling: I like to work with modern workflows and automated build systems eg Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, using transpilers eg. Babel and code quality tools like ESLint and Prettier. I know my way around source control eg Git, Github, Gitlab, workflow management eg Jira, Trello and design tools eg Invision, Zeplin, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Right Now: I'm currently engaged in a long contract into 2019 with a leading ecommerce agency, working onsite with a "high street brand" client.
- Me Time: A break from contracting, including taking some training courses and building a demo PWA "GiphySearch" to get a bit more practice with React. Scores 100% in Lighthouse!
- Zoopla: A year of working on both legacy stack (Perl, Mason, SASS) and new platform (Node, Handlebars, PostCSS). Code reviews and agile ceremonies, implementing split tests, managing white labels, lots and lots of bugfixing...
- Me Time: A period between contracts, built a demo "GiphyVision" a mashup of Google Cloud Vision, Heroku and... umm, Giphy. Its an exercise in API's, es6 modules, server-side Node and Webpack.
- SapientNitro: Large migration project for a global FMCG with multiple brands and locales moving to a new CMS.
- SapientNitro: Responsive promo components and calculators for the Barclays UK consumer site as part of their "fix the basics" initiative.
Older projects can be seen on LinkedIn. Please contact me directly for non-public samples.
Please get in touch via LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/danbrownfrontend/ or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org